Friday, June 3, 2011

Piece 4 Intro: Writer's Choice

As soon as I finished writing this piece, I knew that is was my best work so far. When writing, I often wait for some key stroke of inspiration before I start. Once I have that inspiration, I just start writing and continue until that inspiration runs out. Usually I end up stopping about halfway through, and then I have to wait for the next flash. Once I've gone through two or three of those writing sessions, I finally look back on what I have done and see what is worth keeping, what needs editing, and what can just be wiped away. In the case of DB entries like this one, I would usually end up erasing everything I had and restarting several times in order to get a single post.

However, on this post I wrote everything in one go and when I finally looked back on it I found no editing to be done at all; it was a finished product. Even sections where I reference the article, like 'The "Paradise Spell", as Brooks calls it, causes us to constantly reach towards utopia' and am merging in Brooks ideas came without hesitation. I didn't even really need to book, after reading the article twice I instantly could remember the sections that mattered to me and that I needed to include. This may not be my best work, but it is the work that I feel best represents my writing skill and not simply hours of editing until I get lucky and find some combination of words that works well.

No comments:

Post a Comment